Sunday, March 22, 2020

Mother’s Day

Today is mothers day in the uk and for most of us it has been a slightly different one. 

Although we are not in official lockdown, all the bars, restaurants and cafes are closed. We are also being asked to stay home unless necessary and not to get together with friends or family. As we live 300 miles from our family this has made little difference to us today but I know a lot of people have struggled today not seeing loved ones. This has meant though that people have been getting creative and doing drive bys (the nice kind) and using social media to wish their mums a Happy Mother’s Day! Like I said our family aren’t close so our day only changed a little.

So how did my Mother’s Day look? I had a nice lie in, received some lovely cards, wore a new dress, got to read my book in peace, went for a walk, spoke to my mum and my mother in law and had a lovely roast dinner and a couple of gins. We didn’t go anywhere or doing anything ‘special’ but it was special just being all together. All in all a pretty nice day.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=13GOrOif1XWvV5gN0JLaNLTN8uySNBhah

I’m now in the bath and apart from thinking how lucky I am to have 3 gorgeous wee boys that call me mum, I’m thinking about tomorrow. Homeschooling but not really homeschooling, filling in the day without us killing each other would be more accurate.
There are a tonne, in fact so many that it’s a bit overwhelming, of resources on line and groups on Facebook with ideas and thoughts on what you can do. For us I’m going to keep in quite structured. We like routine and I feel like it might give us a little sense of normality. That’s not to say we aren’t going to have fun, I plan on lots of baking, stories, gardening, Lego, tv and cuddles. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little apprehensive about a) how long it will last and b) can I actually do this. A day or two, even a week is one thing but weeks and weeks is quiet another. I’m fortunate though as I’m on mat leave I don’t need to worry about work and how I would fit that in around having the children here, which I know is a concern for lots of parents.

We’ll get through it though and it might not be perfect and it might not be what we wanted or expected but we’ll get through it. I’m going to try and focus and just keeping it fun no matter what. The boys will miss their friends and their clubs and the normal things they do and I don’t want them to look back on this and only remember the negatives. In one way it’s a gift, a gift of time with our children and in this day and age how many times can we say we are given that?


Happy Mother’s Day and good luck for the next week xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Return to normal?

So it’s been a while but things are starting to look a bit more like normal again. It’s a big week for the Findlay’s this week. I’m went bac...