Tuesday, March 31, 2020

One week down...


Firstly this was meant to be up a couple of days ago so apologies for that but here we are, better late than never. 
I thought it would be good to share some of the things I’ve realised/learnt since we’ve been in lockdown. Some of these have come as a surprise and some not so much! 

  1. Structure is our friend
This has not been a big surprise, I like structure and so it’s quite natural for my boys to expect structure and routine. On a normal day they would ask what we have planned and when things are happening so it made sense to have some structure and routine to our mon-fri and so far it has worked well.
  1. Snacks are not as big a deal as I thought they’d be
Now this has come as a surprise. Usually during the holidays the boys eat me out of house and home, I would be forever filling up the snack cupboard but certainly last week, this didn’t seem to be the case. They didn’t even want their normal snack plate in the afternoon. I expect this might change.
  1. I don’t have any free time
Like none, if I’m not doing activities/homeschooling with the big boys, I’m doing something with the baby, playing, feeding, getting him down for a nap, and when I’m not doing that I’m trying to keep the house clean/tidy and cook dinner. This has meant there is almost no free time for me, I don’t know why (perhaps stupidity) but I wasn’t expecting that.
  1. I’m more patient than I thought
Again this one was a surprise. I’m not a patient person but last week I only really found myself getting impatient once or twice. Again I expect that to change.
  1. The boys need more exercise
Playing in the garden, a walk with the buggy and a bit of pe with Joe Wicks is not enough for my two. Again I’m not totally surprised by this. Im going to start getting Stu to take them out for a quick run before dinner I think.
  1. Working out before the boys get up has been the best
As I mentioned above I have very little time for me, so as much as I hate getting up at 6 to workout it actually makes a huge difference to my day in a positive way. I like that little half hour that is all mine and I feel happier and calmer once I’ve worked out! (This might be helping with the patience)
  1. Munro misses his old routine 
He’s not alone but I was surprised by this, I thought he’d be content enough having his brothers around but he misses our baby groups and time just me and him. 
  1. 3 children is a lot
Haha, no surprises there really eh? However, until we’ve been trapped in the house together going from 2 to 3 didn’t seem that bad. Things have changed.
  1. I have lost some power               
What can I threaten/bribe them with now? We go nowhere and do nothing really. If I take the iPad away I might as well shoot myself! 
  1. Mum guilt is alive and well
This one is not a surprise, that mum guilt is never far away is it? Are we doing enough, are we doing too much? Blah blah blah... I’m pretty sure we are all doing great in these very unusual and uncertain times and we need to cut ourselves some slack.

So that’s it, as first weeks go it’s not been to bad, I really hope we haven’t peaked but I’m also sure there will be many highs and lows before this is all over.

Stay home, stay safe x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Return to normal?

So it’s been a while but things are starting to look a bit more like normal again. It’s a big week for the Findlay’s this week. I’m went bac...